Thursday, June 5, 2008

Skin in Advertising: Does it sell? 3


Then I wanted to buy the newspaper – not to mention that my CEO was interviewed by them & I wanted to see what was written – so began my search for the newspaper. At first it wasn’t available in poplar newsstands – after a bit of searching I found out that it was not for sale & they wouldn’t give it free to me either. I was shocked to figure out that I can pick it up only if I buy a copy of Times of India!!! Right thinking, given the market situation in Bangalore – Deccan Chronicle is a very late entrant into an entrenched market – give away the newspaper to every customer who buys Times of India as it is the largest selling in Bangalore, so that they get to see Deccan Chronicle & they may stand a chance to convert. Good thinking, but bad execution – as a customer I was willing to pay / buy the newspaper, but they forced me to buy a competitors newspaper instead & pushed theirs free along with it!!! After reading the newspaper it definitely wasn’t exceptionally addictive as claimed by the hoarding, which makes me wonder what was meant to be ‘addictive’ – the bare back girl or the newspaper!!!

So to sum it all up – Sex gets you eye balls – only. What you do after that is in your hands and if judiciously done will sure result in conversion and sales.

No comments: